26 August 2012

The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye

I'm back from summer vacation so now I urgently need to catch up on some reviews! Enjoy!
With a talking tank (Bogie), Honaka travels the barren desserts making a living as a 'jack-of-all-trades' doing anything except murder. Nicknamed the sword dancer for her amazing quick draw skills she soon picks up the interest of Iks a mysterious man she found in the dessert. In this future world of robots, giant bugs and crazy powers Honoka almost seems ordinary. Until her bandanna falls off and we see she has a third eye. A third eye should make her part of 'The Third', the elite beings with brains like the internet, but Honoka's third eye is blue not red making her an outcast from every where. Quite where that takes the plot I'm not sure, but there is a lot of mecha fights and comedy!
Well that looks a lot like I hate the plot, but that's not true, I just can't think of any way to make the plot sound not freakishly weird.In fact in some parts it's really philosophical! Add that to the comedy romance and action - so even with the strange context the plot is good! The thing I really hate though is the cheesy narration. It's completely unnecessary for some random guy to be explaining Honoka's thoughts and feelings every 10 seconds!!! Whenever the narrator starts rambling on I feel like quitting on the show entirely which is a real shame!

The art is quite annoying as well because Honoka will constantly switch between looking pretty and looking stupid just  because of inconsistency in the art work! I do like bits of it, like Honoka flying through the air with her shining sword and her red bandanna floating in the wind; the robot suits fighting with guns a flaring; those scenes can be drawn and animated so well!! Then it'll be ruined by Honoka's face changing into a silly shape while talking. Grrrrr.
But what really makes this anime is the characters. Honoka has so many thoughts and feelings and they're all so real! She's not out to be a hero: she speaks honestly about her desires for herself and her independence. She has some real depth and a back story which isn't sickeningly sob-worthy. Iks is still a complete mystery to me but he has a lot to say so I am expecting his character to get even more interesting as it progresses! Anyway, I think it's mostly Honoka's character that's keeping me with this series!
I must admit though, I couldn't find a subbed version so it's entirely possible that the annoying narration is just a dub thing, but the creepy alien world it's based in will still be there in sub so I can't excuse it all! I shall not dock points for annoying narrations, but I will however dock points for lack of consistency in art because there is no excuse for that! If they are making good anime, it should be good through out! I really love the characters, mostly Honoka, and the plot is quite good. I just don't like the world it has been set in (I'm not a fan of giant spiders with acidic blood).










Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment