25 November 2012

Polar Bear's Cafe

This is quite possibly the most random anime I've ever watched, and I've watched PLENTY of random anime. How do I even review such a thing? It starts when Panda (the panda) is instructed by his mum to get a job. But since relaxing takes up so much time he struggles to find a job to suit him. (I understand your problem panda.) After many declines Panda gets a part-time job at the zoo. Job title: part-time panda. He has to work alongside the full-time panda being a panda. But he really liked the cafe near his house and even though he was declined a job there he still visits everyday. The cafe is run by Polar Bear (the polar bear) and serves humans and animals a like with his part-timer Sasako (almost the only human!). And from there onwards it's just like a slice-of-life anime.... just featuring talking animals! Panda, Polar Bear and Penguin (the penguin) have quirky personalities and funny stories to share. Although there is no real plot the adorable factor is off the scale! But with 39 episodes and counting, I really can't see me completing the series. Surely they'll run out of things to babble about?

Now, more about those quirky characters. Panda is... well, he's a panda: SUPER LAZY! He got Polar Bear to add bamboo to his menu because he is non-stop eating. He is also quite vein. All that talk about how cute Pandas are obviously got to his head, he owns a ton of Panda merchandise and will blush cutely as he tells others about his obvious good looks! It's impossible to hate him when he acts so cute though! Then there's Penguin. When Panda is going on about bamboo Penguin will go on about raw fish. Probably the least exciting normally, but by far the best when he's drunk! He isn't very good at much and is usually showed up by Polar Bear. He regularly enters the cafe complaining about something. Usually how he can't go on a date with Miss.Penko. Polar Bear is a bit of a goof as well! although he usually speaks as the most level-headed member of the gang, Polar Bear loves word puns. Penguin will say a word and Polar Bear will come up with as many rhyming words as he can, just to hear them retort! Fortunately, the subs do cater for this, so I can understand the puns! I love all three of them as I think any one who watches the show would!
It's pretty hard for me to judge the art since this is the first animal anime I've watched so I have nothing to compare it to. But it seemed good to me! There are a lot of different animals in the show and all of them are convincing to me! I must say I am particularly impressed by the fact that they can show Panda's emotions. In case you can't see, Panda doesn't really have eyes, so technically they have no way to present Panda's feelings, but using backgrounds and varying other features it is actually easy to tell how Panda is feeling.
Ok, so I probably won't be watching all the episodes, but surely the fact that they already have 39 episodes and are still going is a sign of how good it is! There aren't many talking animal shows and to be honest it would be weird if there was. But this is good quality slice-of-life. The personalities, the puns: perfection! Panda, Polar Bear and Penguin are a really awesome trio for this chill-out time anime! Watch it while studying, I'm sure it works as a relaxant! But 39 episodes? Really? How did that happen?


(sorry, I couldn't find a sub)



Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment