23 June 2013

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

The UK release was last week and I really wanted to review it then but I was so busy! So apologies about that. Alas, I still have to review this game just so if any one wanted to come visit the town of Ooo and meet Alex they have my friend code: 4983-5552-0467. Be sure to add me and leave your friend code in the comments below!!
Now onto the review.
I've been anticipating New Leaf ever since I got my 3DS and it had to deliver something good because I've played every version of Animal Crossing since the Gamecube game in 2004! However, I have felt like each rendition has been less exciting than it's predecessor. The wii game 'Let's go to the City' was put away quite quickly and the DS 'wild world' was good but it never reached the obsessive excitement of the Gamecube game. Maybe after playing 3 versions of the same game there was nothing more for the series to offer me. Or maybe I've just grown out of quaint games like Animal Crossing... That was a thought too sad to bear!

But when I received my game last Sunday (a bit too late to write the review I'm afraid) I was thoroughly impressed! I had heard a lot of news about various new features, but to see them actually executed was brilliant!
Anyway, just in case there is some one who hasn't heard of Animal Crossing let me explain. Animal Crossing is a life simulation where your character has moved to a new town occupied by talking animals. It's completely open-ended enabling the player to live any kind of life they choose. In New Leaf you are the Mayor of the town; as Mayor it is your duty to improve the town, however this is in no way obligatory. There's lots of things to do when avoiding your mayoral duties: you can go fishing or fossil hunting, redesign your house, make friends with your neighbors and so much more! But the best part about Animal Crossing is that however you live your life, it's always going to be completely stress free.
What I love most about New Leaf specifically is that they've given you even more freedom than previous games. Like I said, there is no pressure to be a good Mayor (although it probably is the best way to enjoy the game) but in Let's go to the City, performing chores for Tom Nooks is almost inevitable! Which I am really glad about because I was getting bored of having to talk to animals and plant flowers just because Tom Nooks says I should. I'm the boss of my life!
But what's even better is the level of individuality. Your character is no longer stuck in just a dress or just a top and trousers you can buy tank tops and skirts and take off your shoes and socks. Combine that with the new accessories and you can have a totally different look for every day you play! Then there's your house. You've always been able to decorate the interior of your house and have even been given a choice of roof colour before. But that doesn't even begin to compare to the level of customization in New Leaf! Pavement, mail box, fences and more can be customized for the right price making it possible to really build your dream house.
Good thing too since with the 3DS ingenious StreetPass turned on your house can be shared to other people's games at the Happy Home Showcase, just one of the many brilliant new features of New Leaf! They have also used StreetPass as a way to visit other people's towns. Open your gates and any one nearby can visit! Visiting people's towns has never been this easy!
Worried about the freedom? Not sure where to start? No problem, talk to the secretary and she'll give you some menial tasks to get you used to the game play! Nintendo have made New Leaf accessible for people who haven't played Animal Crossing and exciting for those who have.
There is obviously one problem. One problem with any 3DS game. There is still no use to the 3D! Sure the 3D graphics look nice, but whether your 3D is on or not really makes no difference! The 3D is kind of like Nintendos party trick they made to pick up chicks! But other than that it's just a question of whether New Leaf stands the test of time. But the graphics are really adorable and utterly stunning compared to how they started on gamecube. Especially glad for the ability to change the camera view in a house, makes decorating much more worth while. It retains the original style of Animal Crossing but the little touch ups really make the difference.
I have always said that the only important fact in establishing how good an Animal Crossing game is how long you play it for so I cannot give an accurate judgement for at least a few months. If I'm not still playing it in the next few months then it's obviously just the adrenaline speaking when I say this is the best Animal Crossing game yet! It's both nostalgic and novel. Perfect for new gamers and old and definitely worth getting a 3DS for.







Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment