17 November 2013

From Up on Poppy Hill

A fairly new addition to the Studio Ghibli collection (2011) that my dad managed to find on Love Film. We watched the dub -which I must admit I rarely do- but more on that later. Set in 1963, it's a tale of pure yet troubled love. When a school's clubhouse (the Quartier Latin) is set to be demolished, Shun (passionate member of the newspaper club) performs an outrageous stunt that captures the attention of Umi a young neighborhood child. Umi begins helping out in the Newspaper Club and the two begin to fall for each other. But things aren't that straightforward! Umi's mother is studying abroad in America and her father was lost at sea. When Umi shows Shun a picture of her father he starts acting strange and avoiding Umi. What's preventing the two from being happy together? You'll have to watch it to see!
Meanwhile, Shun's passion and Umi's inspiration has got the whole school pumped. No-one wants to see the Quartier Latin demolished so they all pitch in to clean up the clubhouse and turn it into a monument worth saving.
It's quite melodramatic, but simultaneously quaint. It's all set in a peaceful village by the sea, but the school students are comparing their situation to the Nation's political situation! It's a comedic contrast; it's silly and playful. The tale of the Qaurtier Latin makes the film a lot more interesting than a plain old romance. It also says something about how life carries on even when you're in love. Or maybe I'm just looking to deep into it?  Anyway, it's a nice touch. Plus, it means the plot doesn't need to thickened out with unnecessary turmoil of the main characters liking each other, then not liking each other, then liking each other again. I do like a bit of push and pull, but Shun and Umi's earnest love is incredibly refreshing! Ok, the whole family situation was difficult to digest, but it was different to the regular drama. It was also very funny! All those students getting overly emotional about the Quartier Latin, I caught myself laughing on more than one occasion. On the whole, the plot for From Up on Poppy Hill was refreshing, innocent and exciting. A good mix if you ask me!
Now I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the art work, but I will anyway! As with any Studio Ghibli film, From Up on Poppy Hill is beautifully detailed. My personal favorite would be the inside of the Quatier Latin before they tidied it up: it was dark and poorly lit, and yet every detail shone through! Items and more items covered every inch of the screen, each deliberately placed and coated in a layer of dust and cobwebs. It was magnificent! Then when they visited Tokyo, that was another splendid scene. All the lights, the shops, the people! I really felt like I was walking down the streets of 1960's Tokyo! Then there's the people who always look so brilliant in Studio Ghibli films. Sure, I'm a big fan of Shojo art work, with their big eyes and pointy chins, but nothing compare to the consistent beauty of Studio Ghibli. There's a perfect balance between anime and realism which is just brilliant! Finally, of course, is the fluid nature of Studio Ghibli films. Shun jumping off the roof, the boats bouncing along the water or Shun and Umi riding a bike down the hill. Pick any scene you like and you won't be able to find a flaw!
Now, like I said, I don't often watch dubs. Not for elitist reasons, but mostly because the anime I watch hasn't got a dub available. Although I wouldn't advice looking at the characters' mouths too often the dub is natural. The scripting is incredibly successful and the voice acting is commendable. After watching Arrietty in dub and experiencing the awkward acting and difficult script, I am very content with this film! Also, it should be noted that they didn't dub the incidental songs. There are couple of song that the school children sing which are quite beautifully translated. But the opening and closing themes are left in their original Japanese form. Probably because a song about Natto wouldn't sound right in English! But will just take a moment to appreciate how cute said songs are, I was humming along before I knew it!
So, unsurprisingly I liked this film. Miyazaki's still got it! He really knows how to capture the innocence in romance, something that is often neglected in modern media! It's something almost magic! Some might say the plot is boring, but I'd rather call it peaceful. It's full of loveable characters and teenage life. It combines the mundane with an ample helping of melodrama which cannot be missed. In general, I would say everything about this film is perfectly balanced and it's just terribly sweet! Thus, all of you who have a lovefilm now know exactly what to add to you list. Trust me, it's worth a watch. Cuddle up on your sofa and enjoy!














Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment