5 January 2014

Gaist Crusher

It might interest you to know that this is my 126th post!! That means that this blog has been running consistently for a year and a half. As we enter a new year I promise I won't abandon this blog but I'm getting busier with school work and all my hobbies so I am going to have to decrease the frequency. As of this post, my reviews will be fortnightly. I hope you will continue to visit though!

A good way to tell if the anime you're watching is aimed at children is by listening to the openng sequence; if the theme song features the name of the anime it's more than likely a kids show. As such, the infuriatingly catchy 'gagan gan Gaist Crusher' is a warning to all adults that this is not for them. But I did not listen and now I must try to fairly review this children's anime.
A Gaist Crusher is someone employed by the GCG  to take down the monsters know as 'Gaist' who are born from 'Gaimetal' a mystical energy-filled ore. To combat these monsters GCG have developed 'Gaist Gear' technology using the Gaimetal to supply talented individuals with the power and strength to fight and 'crush' the Gaist.
In 2064 Rekka's hometown gets attacked by a Gaist and Rekka couldn't just watch it destroy his home! After proving himself as a hard-worker with a tonne of 'resolution' he joins Hayato, Kurama and Siren as a Gaist Crusher. Whilst there he must earn the trust of the other Gaist Crushers, learn everything there is to know about Gaimetal, train his body and fight off any Gaist that are awakened.
It's a very typical story for a kid's show and it ticks all the boxes: the protagonist is age appropriate for the desired audience; there's a subtle and innocent love interest; lots of slapstick comedy and plenty of action. The plot isn't too complicated either. There's a clear 'Good v Bad' which is very important for a kid's show. Of course, I could go into how boring and unoriginal the plot is and how transparent the twists are, but I can't. It's not fair to do that to an anime for children!
I do have one rather big bone to pick with it though. They make a big deal about the 'resolution' or  'determination' of the characters and regularly point out that with resolution you can do anything! Of course this is meant as a lesson to the children - and 'always try your best message. Nothing wrong with that, it's a lesson I regularly impart on my younger siblings! What is wrong is the confusion between 'resolution' and 'recklessness'. Trying difficult things that can harm oneself and others around is not a good example of trying hard and being determined, it's a good example of careless abandon. Not such a nice lesson! But I suppose it can't be helped, after all, compared to the lessons embedded within a series, the plot is more important. Since foolhardiness makes for an exciting show it's not really surprising that Rekka exhibits such a trait.
Now, onto the animation. I absolutely love the big bold designs in this show. It's set in a future with big advancements in technology and everything looks super cool! I would like to draw extra attention to 'Rabbi' the super robot. Even though this is an anime for little boys Rabbi brings just a sprinkling of kawaii! Unsurprisingly, the robot has a design reminiscent of a rabbit, but those big pink eyes are cuter than any rabbit I've seen!
Alas, I digress! The main focus of the animation should, of course, be the Gaist Crushers. They've colour coordinated each of them to make it easier for the kids to identify each of them including the wacky hairdos that I cannot approve! First of all there's Rekka, the red one. He's Gaist Gear is probably the least exciting - it's no more exciting than the protective gear you might wear when cycling or skating in fact. Just with a less effective helmet. Seriously, what's the point in a helmet that doesn't cover your head? Hayato, on the other hand, has a costume worth showing off! It covers a lot more of his body (still no head protection though) and there's much more detail! You can really tell that his Gaist Gear is based off a bird (the wings are a dead give away). Also, the transformation scenes are very cool! I've only ever seen transformations as cool as this in magical girl anime!
It's definitely worth mentioning the interesting nature of the Gaist Crusher franchise. Although I've only reviewed the anime, it's actually made to accompany the Gaist Crusher game. There's also a manga series! All three things where released around the same time as part of Capcom's 'transmedia project' to try get boys interested in the series one way or another. I think it's an ingenious idea and if I was in the desired target audience I'd be emptying out my pocket money in a flash to get involved in this exciting franchise!
Gaist Crusher is the perfect anime for this as well! The bold and memorable characters and all too familiar plot are just what children want. Whilst I cannot say I personally enjoyed this anime I can appreciate it for what it is: I very clever piece of marketing! It's well made and full of fun, what more could you want for your child?










Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment