1 June 2014

MCM EXPO SPECIAL: May. 2014

I'm aware that given my new fortnightly schedule, this post should really be for next week. But by that time all remaining MCM hype will have gone. So, since this isn't even a real review, I figured I'd post it today anyway. Everything goes back to normal.


I suppose I should probably stop calling it expo though because MCM have actually bought the title 'comic con'. It caused a lot of drama in the facebook group (but then, everything causes a lot of drama in that group!) however it hasn't actually changed the convention at all. Although it has certainly grown since last year!!



Moving on, it is worth noting if you didn't see my previous post that I attended on the Sunday this year. And boy am I glad of that because I heard some horror stories from the Saturday! Security Guards who didn't know what they were doing and one's who tried physically moving people. A faulty queuing system that resulted in this glorious queue and a sudden hailstorm that had an excess of cosplayers trying to hide under the tiny bit of shelter that's available. None of that was a concern for me!

There's a new one way system so you can't enter through the main entrance any more. You have to go round and enter through the side doors which take you straight into the ticket hall. That means no more pushing and shoving between people trying to get in but it also means more walking!! Me and my friend arrived at Excel House at half 9, only half an hour before it opened! Yet, even then there was no queue. We just strolled right through. Even my friends sister didn't have to queue and she didn't arrive until half 10 and she didn't have a priority ticket! I'm not sure whether this is because the security guards finally got themselves organised or whether it's just because Sunday always has less visitors but I do know that the queue for Sunday was the complete opposite of the queue for Saturday!

Of course, getting there that early meant Goodie Bags!! And I would easily say that this was the best goodie bag I've ever had in all my years of MCM. I got a nice Attack on Titan poster that I gave to my cousin because I have no more poster room. A little Ben 10 football, which is a bit random because I've never seen Ben 10 merch for sale at MCM, nevertheless, my little brother is a big fan of Ben 10 so he's happy with that. There was also a 'The Tick' comic from free comic book day and it was actually a fun read! Finally the greatest thing in there: a Naruto DVD! This isn't great because I like Naruto or anything silly like that but since the last two times I've been to Comic Con I've received the rubbish 'Bangkok Ninjas' movie, Naruto is much better. It's also nice to think there must be Naruto fans out there happily receiving a movie they really want.

We also had incredibly pleasant weather! No rain as far as I'm aware, certainly no hail! It did get a bit too chilly for me and my friend to sit in our sleeveless crop tops but with a jacket to cover our arms and bellies we were quite content to sit on the grass and watch the cosplayers go by! I would actually say it's the best weather I've ever had at a con. Not too hot and not too cold, it was perfect picnic weather!

But my day did not go as planned. I had intended to spend little and do a lot. I wanted to try out the retro gaming systems and try out some new games. There was Taiko drumming that you could join in with and performances on three different stages. Also, panels. So many panels! Special guests and the Cosplay Masquerade. I really wanted to try things out but my plan was thwarted by the elusive programme. For the life of me I couldn't find a programme any where! When I posted about onto the group page, I wasn't the only one confused. Some people said there weren't any programmes, others said they easily found theirs and yet where people got the programmes from seemed to differ a lot. So in the end I didn't find the retro games, I didn't know what performances to go to and I couldn't tell which panels were of interest to me. Instead I emptied my pocket (as usual) and watched the last half hour or so of the cosplay masquerade.

Just to finish this post, I'm sure you want to know what I bought! Well, it's nothing that I'm going to be reviewing for a start! I'm happy that I bought an indie comic for the first time I always forget to there before I've spent all my money. I got a cute book called Parafect by Tammy Taylor and it only cost £3! I finally completed my Cardcaptor Sakura  collection with the 4th Omnibus volume for £14.99. I bought something cute for my friend's birthday (can't say what, she might read this!) and a cute Animal Crossing dangly bell charm for my self, also only £3. I found Complete Season 1 of Adventure Time for my sister, only £12! Also a super cute pair of Minzy (2NE1) socks! And finally, the best buy of the day: Fullmetal Alchemist Movie 1 and 2, only £10 for the pair! Bargain! Now I'm totally broke, but definitely happy!

So I'm bummed that I had no programme but all in all it was still a good con! If you want to see some of the awesome cosplays I saw, have a looks at my album here!

No comments:

Post a Comment