7 August 2011

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Oh, for to long I have neglected you, my avid readers. For too long have I left you blinded to what anime to watch. But fear no more, for I am back now. I return with anime and much anticipated reviews!

Once again my sister has pestered me, bugged me and then forced me to watch an anime just because she likes it. But why not? It was only 14 episodes, didn't take long and entertained me for a while.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a bit of a mouthful, so for convenience we shall call it Magica Madoka.
Magica Madoka looks sounds and has the op like that of your typical cute magical girl story, (think Tokyo Mew Mew or Cardcaptor Sakura) but it's misleading. This isn't a world where things always work out for our hero; we watch as tragedy upon tragedy befalls them. But to tell you about that would be giving spoilers!

So, how do these 5 ordinary girls end up fighting witches with some pretty extreme powers? They signed a contracted with the cute alien being named Kyubey. Kyubey grants you one miracle, in exchange you get magical powers to defeat witches with. Not a bad deal, Kyubey just rips out your soul in the  process. And did Kyubey not mention what happens when you don't defeat enough witches and fall into a state of despair? That's another spoiler!!
The destroyer of the world is on it's way and the magical girls all need to make vital decisions to ensure their own safety, and the worlds!!!
The character design is lovely, enhanced by good art and accurate animation. And I adore the soundtrack which is by my idol Yuki Kajura. The characters have wonderful personality's and some even have sad backgrounds which really help set the tone. I really like the way they experiment with the art, changing it for a warped look.
In all I think it was worth watching, and there is definitely some cosplay ideas in there!!






Pie:

1 comment: