14 August 2011

Eden of The East

An extremely short but much loved anime that I borrowed from a friend. It's strange, funny and romantic. But it has it's fair share of negatives...
The world of Eden of the East isn't far off from our world; it includes things like terroism, NEETs and 9/11. Despite all that this show does not showcase the violence and explosions as a main part of the anime. It's full of misunderstandings, mysteries and unknown people which should bring you right to the edge of your seat. But I didn't really work for me; I felt more drawn to the romance between the two main characters. You'd think that with all that going on squeezing any jokes in would be an impossible task. But no, Eden of the East also pulls of a fairly exaggerated sense of humour between the scenes!
The pacing was great, especially as it only had 11 episodes. You slowly learn things: the Selecao game, Mr.Outside, the Eden of the East website and to climax this steady flow of information is Akira's past.

Most of it's believable for an anime, and it's clearly been set in an age not far from our own, making it easy to relate to. There's just one thing I'm not buying: their Cellphones. They make requests through the phone and they are granted. That's cool. But completing almost impossible tasks in a few seconds? Riiiiiight.
The characters are sweet. Nothing amazing. Noone I'd daydream about or anything. The girl is fairly bland and boring, but the guy is a sweet cheerful guy. All the characters are quite realistic; quite broken. And I love the art! I don't even know why, there is no extreme hair or clothes, no impressive fights scenes and no amazing details. But it just looks nice!
So you see, there's nothing 'amazing' about this anime, but it's pleasant. It's not bad, on the contrary I found it very good. I'm just unsure what made it so good...





Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment