16 October 2011

Ouran High School Host Club (Live-Action)

Once I heard that they were going to release a live-action of OHSHC I got quite excited! I already have the manga and the anime, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. So, now I also have the live-action to enjoy!!
The plot is the same as in the manga and anime. But it's not boring because having real people give it a entirely different feel. It's actually rather refreshing.
Basically, Ouran high school is one of a few elite schools in Japan. But 6 good-looking boys get bored with to much free time, so they make a host club to entertain the also bored lady's. But when Haruhi, the poor scholarship student, breaks an 8 million yen vase she's forced to pay with her body. So, against the lady's knowledge Haruhi cross-dresses and performs host activities. The whole anime is about all the trouble the host club causes Haruhi.

I think they've mostly done a good job of humanising the anime charactersKawaguchi Haruna is a good cross-dresser and can pull of the feminine side of Haruhi as well as her terrifying cold looks. And the twins, Takagi Shinpei and Manpei, were amazing actors! The romantic moments looked so sincere! And they were portrayed exactly like the manga. Nakamura Masaya, Mori's actor, is well-built and doesn't look awkward in his silence and Kyoya's actor, Daito Shunsuke, looks so cold and calculating it's likee he was born for this job! There's only two characters I have complaints about. Mitsukuni, the cute lolita boy and Tamaki, the charming prince type. Maybe it's because these manga-esque characters are too unrealistic, but I thought these two were portrayed poorly. Tamaki looked like a middle-aged man with a big nose and badly styled hair and all his romantic scenes were lacking charm! But I suppose they were passable.
The scenery was  gorgeous! It held every little detail included in the manga and looked absolutely splendid. And it's definitely better than the anime, it's refreshing and has a really unique feel to it. They ingeniously use manga style gags on real people (Mostly the use of stone words flying at Tamaki) and it makes me laugh every time!! They didn't stick to the original uniform, they exchanged the bright yellow dress of the Ouran girls' into a more fitting white one!
But between the three -manga, anime and drama- I think this one just tops the list! I still think everyone should read the manga as it's very nice and pretty and stuff, but the drama is just more unique! Very cute, very funny and even scary at some points! Do watch this, Ouran fan or not, is lovely!!! But I'm personally rating it down a bit as this is my third time going through this plot. Please don't be put of by the Pie count!!


Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment