2 October 2011

Perfect Blue

I hope you appreciate how much effort I put in for you guys! I spent HOURS filling in 'labels' on ALL of my reviews! Just so that you can chose what reviews to look at. Be it reviews with a high rating, Korean reviews or romance reviews just please use the label feature by clicking on one of the categories under the review! I even found out the directors and companies and stuff for ALL my articles!!
Perfect Blue is an animated movie. I was sort of craving one, so my trusty google lead me towards this blog, which was really good. I recommend you take a quick look at it! So Tim Maughan lead me towards Perfect Blue as a psychotic film with a shocking ending. Well all kinds of psychotic fantasies and warped realities were portrayed through out the film. But, shocking ending? I'll come back to that one.
The film tells the tale of little Mima Kirigoe who loved being a member of the fantasy Japanese pop idol group 'CHAM!'. However, with CHAM! not even making it into the top 100, her manager pressures her into becoming a full-time actress. Some of her fans find this very displeasing, especially Me-Mania who was always watching over Mima. As her job as an actress gets greater, so does her fear. Her first main acting part is being raped at a strip club. This is NOT a film for kids.

Whenever someone does something damaging to Mami's reputation, they're soon found dead. The only problem is with Mima being a distressed actor there is no boundaries between reality and T.V., leaving you second guessing everything you see.
With all the confusion and surprises it's hard to explain thee plot without giving anything away! But I found it terrifying! I'm glad my light was still on while I watched it, it just messes with your mind so much!!
The start of film seemed relatively enjoyable, CHAM! doing a cute song and dance, but there is a slight underlying threat of creepy stalker guys. As the film progresses this fear gets more and more prominent until they throw you head first into mentally terrifiying scene after scene of who knows what!! It really does stuff to your head! It does an amazing job of building up fear and tension. Sometimes gradually, sometimes in one sharp burst. Perfect Blue can certainly get your heart pumping!
When Mima starts encountering her old self about half way through, that's when you get ultimate mind-blow. You become nervous and need to know how everything is resolved!!
But when I actually  reached the ending.... I thought it kind of sucked. One minute it was all action, then it finished. I suppose it was kind of shocking but they could of had something more dramatic!!
Now returning to the point I made in the synopsis: this REALLY isn't for kids! I don't know what the rating is, but it's definitely higher than I want to be watching! There was; two (acted) rape scenes; lot's of bloody murders; psychotic mind games and a nude photo-shoot. I can understand why they're there, I would even say they're necessary for the plot. But they didn't need to put in whole scenes of unpleasantness! But that's the point of view of a child.
In the end, I would say I hated it, because I don't like being scared.  But I don't really have a reason to hate it and besides, it's thriller, if I wasn't scared it would've failed! So, putting my hatred of scary things aside, it was good. Sure, the animation show's it's age, but it is over a decade old! The voice actors were good, they put across 100% genuine fear in their voices. And the mind tricks worked! The plot was really ingenious, complete mind-blow. I must complain about the adult themes and how they didn't even try to hide them, but I am just a kid. And I really wasn't impressed with the ending, it was a bit of a drain on all that built up tension. But viewing it as a thriller, it's amazing!





Pie:

2 comments:

  1. As well as all that ace labelling, you should tell us if you watched the dub or sub. I couldn't tell from this review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all that you want me to put in moree effort?
    xD
    The thing is with this movie I watched half of it subbed, but then that crashed so I had to watch the rest in dub on youtibe!

    ReplyDelete