22 January 2012

Neon Genesis Evangelion

That's right! I've finally got round to watching the anime of it!! Although I doubt you guys remember when I bought the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga only to discover that it's actually meant for people who had already watched the anime.
Quite honestly I don't think that me watching this anime was that smart, since I'm no mecha fan and I'm not a fan of older art style. But still I am quite impressed by Neon Genesis Evangelion! It's certainly not my style of anime and I'm not going to join the massive buzz surrounding it, but for what it succeeds at being what it is!
It mostly revolves around the high-tech military organisation Nerv. Buried deep under New Tokyo 3 Nerv holds some of the strongest weapons known to man which are used to defeat the powerful aliens/robots called Angels. Nerv's strongest weapon is a giant meccha suit which can only be controlled by a select few. The pilot has to be 12 years old and be able to synchronise effectively with the robot. They are called Evanglion's or Eva for short. Shinji Ikari is one of these select few and is called in to be a pilot by his father, head of Nerv. The story is then mostly about Ikari being a seclusive teenager with pointless meccha fights put in every episodes.

In general the animation is quite simplistic, it does carry emotion and it moves quite well too. But it is from 1995! The people are all fairly boring, although quite a lot of the clothes are interesting! However, they obviously weren't focusing on the people or the clothes, it's the the eva's that they really wanted to animate. Each eva looked so different from the others and moves very naturally, it's quite marvellous. So it does have some splendid fight scenes. The other scenes that are focussed on revolve around the female cast and usually their underwear... It's definitely an anime for guys.
Shinji Ikari is an idiot, he always seems so solemn and obideiant, he's so boring and doesn't appear to understand anything. I understand that they wanted the hero to be so unassuming that it shocks every one, but he didn't have to be quite so annoying, he hardly even talks until like episode 5! The other pilots are a lot more interesting, Anayami Rei is the 'first child'. She's so quiet and unmoving that she's more of a robot than the eva's themselves! She's exactly like Yuki Nagato actually. The other Pilot doesn't get introduced until episode 7 or something, but she's definitely the most interesting Character. Asuka is German and extremely energetic. She's in her own world, unaffected by rules and normalities. She's just such fun!
So I think there's fun characters and nice concept that could turn into a great anime! But I think too much focus is put on the meccha, since I don't like meccha my view on what counts as too much meccha is a bit biased, so you'd have to judge it for your self. However I did enjoy it, and thee suspense did keep me going, it's just not emotional enough to sit through 26 episodes of it...





Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment