19 February 2012

Coffee Prince

Coffee Prince is a Korean Drama that was highly recommended to me by my friend.
Go Eun Chan is a 24 year old from a poor family, she has to take up several part-time jobs to be able to keep a house with her shopaholic mum and younger sister. Choi Han Kyul is the polar opposite. As the son of a rich food company, he does no work and always plays around. But their paths start to cross, it brings about a very curious turn of events. Convinced that Go Eun Chan is a boy, Choi Han Kyul employs her to be his fake gay lover to avoid his grandmother's arranged dates. When his grandmother's plan to get him married fails, she decides to make him work instead. He has to renovate a local Coffee shop and make triple the investment. He employs Go Eun Chan, still convinced she's a guy, and sets to work. Mostly the show is about everyone struggling with the shop and struggling to get along with each other. But there's also this kind of side story about the guy who Go Eun Chan delivers milk to. Choi Han Seong, who just happens to be Choi Han Kyul's cousin, starts chatting with Go Eun Chan and they get along quite well, but unfortunately for Go Eun Chan, he has a girl friend. His girl friend also happens to be Choi Han Kyul's crush. So everything's a bit knotted up!

I find this a bit hard to keep up with, because no one seems to have a simple relationship with any one I get confused with whose who. But it is really cute. Once the cafe is open it's a lot of fun!! But, there's like three episodes of scene setting where I was really bored. I think, the further in to the story I go, the better. With new characters and deeper relationships I suppose it's only natural it'd get better. The comedy isn't quite as common as I'd like it to be and Go Eun Chan's identity doesn't get questioned enough. I have yet to encounter any moments intense enough to make me obsessed. Nor has there been many scenes cute enough to make me squeal! Really, the plot is on par with a soap drama: random twisted relationships with little meaning. It's so slow to get going, I was only in to it by like episode 7 and I probably would have stop watching it if not for the fact that I had to watch 5 episodes for reviewing! I probably would have stopped watching this in normal situations!
The characters are fairly standard and the acting has little to praise. Lee Eon is quite amusing, he plays Hwang Min-Yeop whom quite adorably switches between a normal guy, a fiery guy who challenges Go Eun Chan and a sweet guy trying to charm Go Eun Chan's sister. They are so different I thought they were different people at first!
Really, the more I watch of this, the less I can complain about it! After watching the necessary 5 episodes I was thinking two and a half pie.... But now I'm on episode eight and I really can't be that mean! Because it does get good! It has a love square, and I don't really like love squares (triangles have enough vertices for me) so it's no where near as fun as the other k-dramas I've watched. It doesn't have as much comedy either... But it  has more of a gender bender aspect! Which is quite amusing in itself when the guy starts to question his sexuality because of it!








Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment