1 April 2012

Peepo Choo

I have to say a thanks on this post first! My dad request I read the manga almost a month ago, and I tried and I tried, but I could not find it! But my dad, as kind as he is, ordered the manga for me. So now I have one volume of it for my collection. Thank you!!

First off, let me inform you that Peepo Choo is an 18+, so under 18's turn away now! The manga is really funny though, it shows some american kids going through that terrible phase of a weaboo. Sitting down every week to watch an episode of Peepo Choo and in their ignorrant little heads they believe Japan is just like it. A dream land where everyone is kind, everyone cosplays and everyone does the Peepo Dance to make things better, so when Milton gets the oppurtunity to go to Japan for free he immediatly goes to his anime to learn some Japanese. Meanwhile, in Japan, we see the Yakuza get out of control. After Aniki scouted Morimoto for his family he became cocky and uncontrollable, killing business partners in the most crotesque way and losing the family money. We also see what life in a Japanese school is like as Miki, who is not a blonde-haired, tanned-face beuty like the others, gets bullied in the most horrible ways. So, Melton's idea of Japan isn't quite right. He soon finds that walking around in cosplay is still weird and nobody else has learnt the Peepo dance.

So really, in a whole volume of manga the plot hasn't really progressed at all. Probably because there's three plot lines to this at the moment, so trying to scene set all of them takes a while. Although, I still think they could of cut out some of the boring scenes and put more into the plot but it's not really a problem. It just makes it hard to pass judgement on the story line at the moment.
The art is very interesting though. Although the violence and gore has been drawn a bit too graphically for my preferecnces. There is such a range of art and art styles. Some more preferable than others, but all the variety The males are mostly rather angular and the look that people have been drawn in reflects something about their personality. I also need to congratulate the artist on their panelling. Very interesting, but still very flowing.
As for the characters, I think they take the extremities of stereotypes. --, the ultimate weaboo who doesn't appear to know a thing about what Japan is like but just loves his anime. --, a teenage store worker, secret virgin and entirely shuns Japan and their anime because of horrible miconceptions. The people in Japan seem slightly less obvious, more of a pick and mix. In total, they make a really interesting mix! Although I struggle to see how all of the mare going to fit together in the plot...
So, although I disapprove of the 18+ scenes, the most of the book isn't focused arounf these points. And if there is little plot in the first book, I'll shall just have to wait for the next book. The characters son't appear to fit together, so I just need to see what they do in the next book. Therefore, I just need the next book. It might not be an amazing book, the plot might fall through entirely. But Felipe Smith has done enough in his art to make me want the second book.










Pie:

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very interesting. I might give one volume a try!

    ReplyDelete