10 June 2012

Broken Dolls - Reach For The Sky

Japanese. That's right, I don't just listen to Kpop! It's just that there is less Jpop! :P
I bought this at expo because a they were playing it when I walked past. The seller said they are a new Harajuku band but 'Broken Dolls' is also the name of a Harajuku fashion label and shop. All three run by Kensuke (Broken Dolls Guitarist). Now enough about Harajuku, let's talk about Reach For The Sky!
First let me say how cute the album cover is. The mess and destruction that still looks so adorable and innocent! Anyway, when I originally listened to the album I did notice that there was a lot of English, but when I looked in the lyric book I was shocked to see that ALL thee lyrics are English. Well, Engrish. Sachi is a cute singer, but her English fails her.... Most the lyrics are good enough, it's just her pronunciation!! But you have to pardon her Engrish because her cute and bubbly voice should be in Engrish.

The guitar parts are really good. Just tell me now has a really catchy riff and there is a lot of bad-ass guitar solos. My favourite was in She's Shifty. With everything being so high powered Kensuke does a brilliant job at keeping up.
The drummer is talented too! She's Shifty is a speedy song and they still have Yumaronta do lots drum rolls! There were drum solos too, in Just tell me now and Nothing But A Good Time, so cool! He also had prominent parts in every song and they were so important, possibly the main focus of the whole album.
Mii is on bass but I can't really think of much to say. There are no brilliant bass lines that I heard, it's mostly repetitive.... But I;m sure she's a brilliant Bassist....
Reach For The Sky is really energetic. It's high powered and speeding. A sugar high. Quite often the instruments sound detached from each other, but I think this was on purpose because it sounds very cool and there was a distorted reverb section too. I mostly loved the momentary pauses in the music which make sure you're actually listening to the song.
All of Broken Dolls songs are hyperactive and crazy. They all sound quite similar, but I would like to think that each song has it's own redeeming feature. It really rocks and makes me wish I was a Harajuku girl. It's chaotic and powerful. I can't pick out a favourite or a least favourite because I love them all. But if I were to buy another of their CDs it would need more variety and maybe some Japanese.





Pie:


No comments:

Post a Comment