15 July 2012

Welcome to the NHK

"N.H.K." the Japanese Broadcasting Corporation. Or the Japanese Hikikomori Coporation. According to Satou's hallucinations it's all the N.H.K's fault that he's become a Hikikimori. Secluded to his room Satou hasn't talked to any one in four years. That's when Misaki comes along, claiming that Satou is perfect for her 'project' they start they're counselling sessions to save Satou from his seclusion. Then things get out of hand, Satou lies to his mum and now he needs a job and girlfriend. Now Satou must take his slow steps into society while trying to make the ultimate ero-game with his friend and neighbour Yamazaki. It does have some serious notes on social anxiety, the difficulties coping in life and how one is supposed to live but mostly we laugh as Satou makes a fool of himself. It also has lots of culture in it, otakus, lolicon, doujinshi writing and moe, you can find out all about these Japanese things. But it still mostly sticks to pretty outlandish humour and horrible coincidences. Unfortunately the one book I have is pretty short, so it's difficult to give my opinions on the plot but it does appear to have some good potential.
The visiting of his mother will be interesting enough and after that we have plenty to learn about Misaki!
In general, I would say that the art is really boring.... but there is some many abnormalities in it! Whenever Satou gets nervous or annoyed or any thing of the sort is face will contort to express said emotion in an accurate exaggeration. Then Misaki perfectly feminine face is just an unbelievable contrast. I don't even know how hard it must have been to put so much detail and shading into the drawings of messy rooms. In fact, most of the backgrounds had more detail than necessary, very nice actually. There are some fantasies of Satou's that make they're way into the manga and it's a bit awkward to read... I know that they are important to show off Satou's character but that doesn't make them any less awkward for me.
The characters are brilliant. Satou is a comedy god and he doesn't even know it. The things he does are so ridiculous and awkward, really shows how hard it must be to be a hikikimori. Yamazaki is just a big nut case. He can draw well, but all he draws is hentai. He's a hikikimori but still scolds Satou for going overboard. However when the two get together they create an unbelievable force of energy and because they are both so similar, they feel they can relax in front of each other. It's all very interesting. Misaki is still a very mysterious character. Although she's very cute and bubbly it's not been explained exactly what she's trying to do or why, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Probably one of the most ridiculous things I have read, Welcome to the N.H.K makes little sense and has little plot. However the characters and story and uber funny. I want to see it progress further, but I only have one volume.... there's too little in this volume for me to really say, but I like the style. It's humorous and still quite meaningful. It kind of mocks society and I like that. There's lots of contrast and things that I must find out so I do need the next book. Which means that volume 1 has done it's job.







Pie:

2 comments:

  1. hello!,I like your writing very a lot! proportion we keep in
    touch extra approximately your post on AOL? I require an
    expert in this area to resolve my problem. May be that is
    you! Having a look ahead to see you.
    My webpage > how To Treat Social Anxiety Disorder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.

    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could
    we communicate?
    My homepage : Linden Method Reviews

    ReplyDelete