28 October 2012

MCM EXPO SPECIAL: Oct.2012

I'm not going to review anything today. Since yesterday was MCM, I thought I'd do a special post all about it!! If you don't like it or want me to change the way it's done, there's always the suggestion box!! :3
(photos, video and reviews will be added as soon as I can!!!)



For those who don't know, MCM is the largest comic convention in England. It's does anime, manga, video games, Japanese food, comics, films.... the list goes on and it's FULL of cosplayers. So it's pretty much heaven for my blog! It runs for two weekends a year: in May and October. But I usually only go for the Saturday.


So, it's my first day of half-term and I wake up at 5am. It might not seem to be your idea of fun, but between the getting dressed, distance to London, train works and queueing, 5am suddenly turns to 8:30am and with doors opening at 9am that's perfect timing. And if you want a goodybag, you have to be early! The goody bags are mostly full of adverts, for shops and movies, then there's obviously a program (also full of adverts)! There was a DrWho magazine that I might look through and they even included  a DVD! Bangkok Ninjas! Wait for the review HERE. I'm worried that they're giving it away because no one like it, but we'll have to wait and see!

My first mission at expo is always to look at ALL the stands! There is soo much to look at! Lots of anime, figurines and plushies.Quite a lot of stands sell super cute jewelly and phone charms, things shaped like sweets are very common. Theres obviously manga and comics too, and a whole area of the room devoted to indie publishers with their own manga! Kpop is a relatively new addition, I also noticed a few steampunk stands creeping. There's no real theme to the stalls, just anything awesome. For example, Tofu Cute has lots of sweet lolita and Japanese candy and the Pointy Hats Emporium for all your pointy hat needs! Only then do I go shopping! After the 5pie it got, I could hardly resist Kamikaze Girls DVD for only £5! And I found this super cute top with a cupcake on for £20. The only other thing I bought was the most recent copy of the Gothic Lolita Bible, a magazine full of the latest lolita fashion and a little manga too (all in Japanese though). It was £15, with a free poster and an included dress pattern. I've only leafed through it but it looks so spectacular! It even has hair and makeup tutorials.

I bought food aswell! I don't usually, because the queues are long and the food is expensive. But this time, they had a bunch of food stands inside the expo for their Japanese food exhibition. Sushi, shaved ice, noodles and dumplings all sold at a resonable price and with little or no queueing! Alas, I couldn't be buying everything they had! I bought some miso soup,which wasn't as good as miso from a Japanese restaurant but I guess it wasn't going to be for £1.75. I also bought some Takoyaki (dumplings) I couldn't say I liked them as I couldn't finish my £5 platter. Find out more about Takoyaki when I review them HERE.

I also spent a lot of time at the totally cosplay stage for singing and dancing stage. I watched the Otaku Girls for a bit, but didn't think they rehersaed well enough! Then there was Kimono Time who I love! She had such an energetic set and fullowed it up with another 20min set with her group Oishii!Project. They had some problems with the mic but the set was cute enough! If you have the time you should look at Oishii!Projects website. They have a unique concept and cute original songs.

Having a 3DS there is amazing! I met 50 miis yesterday and completed 3 puzzles! Shame about the rain though, it meant every one was inside so it was slightly tricky to take photos. It was even more tricky to take photos when I ran out of battery! But there will be some photos once they're developed! Keep an eye out HERE for when I do.

While I was there I took a lot of video footage too! I will edit them together into one video and post it down here! So, look forward to that!
Well that's all I got! Any one in the audience go to expo? What did you think? If you didn't go to expo, you jealous? ;) I love hearing from you, especially want to know whether you liked this expo special post. Want to one again in May?

MCM's official video

No comments:

Post a Comment