4 November 2012

Takoyaki

As you probably saw I bought this at expo. BUT I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!! So I had to try a picture that looked like the Takoyaki I had!
I bought this on a whim with out really knowing what I was buying. It was only £5 for 8 dumplings after all! But now I have done a little research over on wiki so I actually know what I was eating! The batter is wheat based and I believe mine had octopus filling. The sauce is Takoyaki specific and is then covered with mayonaise, shredded seaweed and dried shredded tuna.
The wheat based batter is really thick. Not a particuarly pleasant texture either. It was kind of sticky and a bit slimey. Obviously, being wheat based, there wasn't much taste to it, but you can taste the fat it was cooked in...

I'm not a big octopus fan so the filling had little appealt to it. Apparently, it's mixed pickled ginger and green onion, but octopus is a rather over powering flavour, very fishy.
The sauce though, was lovely. It's like soy sauce only, replace all the salt with sugar. It was so yummy and sweet and... Didn't match the rest of the dish at all. I would love to have this sauce on some kind of dessert dish but not on octopusSeaweed is a good addition to most dishes and it was subtly acknowledged. Unlike the mayonaise that just blended in with the Takoyaki sauce. But I don't mind, since I'm no fan of mayonaise. And finally the dried tuna stuff. It kind of creeped me out at first because it looked like shreds of flesh or something! But it tasted alright. It actually tasted similar to seaweed and tuna mixed together. Like a fishy sea.
The overall flavour was kind of a mix-match. I think it was the octopus but although I was enjoying the dumplings about half way through I felt really sick so unfortuanately I couldn't finish the whole plate. But that Takoyaki sauce was so nice! I'm really unsure how to rate it!!But I guess, since I couldn't finish them I'll have to rate it low.

 


Pie:




2 comments:

  1. hello... this has nothing to do with the food I cannot eat. I'd never survive anywhere, but thats beside the point. I ran through all your review posts and I noticed... no chocolate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_%282008_film%29

    Its film its good. You might like and want to review it with pie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh sounds exciting! I'd love to take a look when I can! :)

      Delete