11 November 2012

Chocolate

Todays review was recommended by Normal, and no, it's not a food review. Also known as 'Zen, Warrior Within', Chocolate is a Thai film. First Thai review guys! I'm spreading toffeeish over the world!!
Anyway, on with the review. Chocolate is a Martial Arts movie and I must confess, it's not a genre that I particularly like because usually they are just filled with seemingly pointless fight scenes. But I found Chocolate to be a very emotional story! Zin was in a relationship with Yakuza boss no.8, until she fell in love with Masashi, rival Yakuza member. When she leaves no.8 for Masashi he shoots his own foot as a warning of what will happen if she sees Masashi again. Soon after Zin falls pregnant and convinces Masashi to return to Japan to make things safer for the child. She names her daughter Zen and finds out that she is very autistic. As Zen grows older she gets lightening quick reflexes and an obsession with martial arts. Alas, the sad bit is when Zin gets Cancer, but is to poor to afford the treatment. Mom (Zin's kind of adopted son person) finds a notebook from when Zin was in the Yakuza of all the people who owe her money. Unknowing of it's origins Mom and Zen go off to collect the money in hopes to cure Zin. Naturally, when no.8 finds out about this he isn't too happy and so we reach the climax. Zen has to use all her ninja-like skills to fight of no.8's gang and protect her mother, Masashi arrives from Japan in time to join in as well. Naturally, I can't tell you how it ended.... BUT IT WAS SO AWESOME!!
The story had so much emotion in it, it was just overwhelming! (I may have even cried a bit.) I really liked how the directors actually installed various Autistic tendancies into Zen's character to make it almost convincing! But some on the fight scenes where just too grotesque. That one fight in the butchers shop just made me squirm! All those giant knives and poky hooks.... ergh no. Also all the sound effects made some of the scenes too realistic for me and my innocence. But in general the fights were weapon-free and quite skillfully choreographed.
The concept is quite quirky, using Autism for the otherwise inexplicable talents that Zen possesses whilst quite successfully keeping her in a child-like mind set as some one on the autistic spectrum might have. Although I must say, we don't really see much of her own feelings. It appears to me that most of the distress or fear in her character is to do with her autism not her personal feelings. That's probably a bit hard to understand, but that's just how I feel. Fortunately, Mom portrays most of the important feelings any way. I like how when Zen starts fighting Mom is obviously trying not to be upstaged by some one younger than him! It was a bit entertaining! But his honest intentions mixed with his oblivious nature made him such a sweet kid! Mom and Zen are just such a pure and adorable (kind of) sibling pair! Zin is sweet too, trying her best to protect Zen even though she's so ill, but she's rather clichéd. Although, her cliché is nothing compared to no.8. I mean seriously, can you have a more stereotypical Yakuza boss? Do I even need to describe him to you? I'll leave that with you.
I said earlier that the fight scenes are well choreographed and I wasn't lying! Some really innovative moves seamlessly combined with some killer KO moves! But there was just a few which seemed so awkward and really messed with the flow. I suppose they could've been deliberate, since Zen doesn't have much experience therefore her moves shouldn't be 100%, but it's a movie!! It doesn't need to try to be realistic if the fight scenes have the wow factor!
Now that I think about it, maybe I don't dislike martial arts films so much, I certainly didn't dislike this one! Even with it's cliche and cringy scenes, it's still an enjoyable film. Not a very happy film, it must be said, but it has a few quirks (mostly Mom). Also it's among the few films to make me cry - although that lists getting longer now, maybe I need to toughen up a bit - so I have to give it extra pie for that!









5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed it now!! :P
      You didn't need to remove the comment though?

      Delete
  2. cool review. Glad you liked it. I've watched it twice and i had a headache from attempting not to cry at the sad bits. if i find anything else i'll be sure to pass it your way. *random noise and exagerated sounds as Nomal flees.*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh look... i cant spell my own name.

    ReplyDelete